Updated: Aug 3, 2021
In the modern logistics industry, air transportation is widely used. Air freight is an indispensable and important mode of transportation in logistics transportation, and its uniqueness is unmatched by other transportation methods.
Air transportation is generally urgently needed goods. If road transportation cannot meet the time limit required by the customer, the customer will choose air transportation. Airship cargo has won an impressive market with its quick, safe, and reliable super high effectiveness, significantly shortening the conveyance time, and has assumed an incredible part in accelerating the capital turnover and circulation of the logistics supply chain.
Neptune Global Logistics provides dependable quality administrations for airship cargo, sea cargo, in-house support, shipping, calculated and warehousing, perilous merchandise the executives, protection, and house to house to around the world.
Air transportation mainly includes air transportation, charter transportation, centralized consignment, and air express business.
Scheduled Airline (Scheduled Airline) refers to an aircraft with a fixed departure time, route, and docking station. Usually, it is a mixed passenger and cargo aircraft with smaller cargo space and more expensive freight: However, due to the fixed flight schedule, it is conducive to customers to arrange the delivery of fresh or urgently needed commodities.
Chartered Carrier means that the airline leases the entire aircraft to one or more than a thousand charterers in accordance with the agreed conditions and rates. "Chartered Carrier refers to the shipper or air freight forwarding company", from one or several the airport loads goods to the designated destination. Charter air transportation is appropriate for mass load transportation, and the rate is lower than that of the flight, yet the conveyance time is longer than that of the flight.
Consolidation can be transported by flight or charter. It means that the air freight forwarding company consolidates several batches of separately shipped goods into one batch for consignment to the airline and fills in a master waybill to send to the same destination. Then it entrusts a local agent to be responsible for distribution to each actual consignee. This kind of consignment method can reduce the freight and is one of the main businesses of air freight forwarders.
Advantages and disadvantages of air transport
High flexibility: As long as there are airports in two places, you can fly routes without being affected by terrains such as mountains, oceans, and deserts. Therefore, the distance of air transportation is much shorter than other modes of transportation, and the aircraft type and route can be adjusted at any time according to the passenger flow or cargo volume.
Good safety: The safety of air transportation is higher than that of railway and sea transportation, and higher than that of road transportation. In recent years, the safety of air transportation has been continuously improved. According to the statistics of the International Civil Aviation Organization, the world's civil aviation scheduled flight crashes, the highest number was 0.44 deaths per 100 million kilometers in 1966, and it has dropped to 0.04 in recent years.
Internationalization: Air transport can establish close ties between countries. For international trade, whether it is a ton of goods or mail, it can be transported from any place in the world at any time, conveniently, safely, economically, and reliably. This is air transportation to international exchanges and human civilization as other transportation methods. An irreplaceable great contribution.
High cost: The cost of a flight is very high due to the limited load of the aircraft, the cost of manufacturing the aircraft, and the fuel consumption. Therefore, the cost of air transportation is high, leading to high passenger and cargo postal freight, which is only suitable for personnel exchanges, urgently needed materials, and time-sensitive mail, parcels, etc.
Limited capacity: Due to the limitation of the load capacity of the aircraft itself, the volume of air cargo is usually much less than that of sea transportation. For example, the largest civil aircraft 8747 all-cargo aircraft has a maximum load of 11 tons, which is tens of thousands of tons compared to sea transportation. There is a big difference between the load capacity of tons and hundreds of thousands of tons.
Vulnerable to the weather the aircraft itself is greatly affected by the weather. In severe weather such as heavy rain, strong wind, fog, etc., flights cannot be effectively guaranteed, which will have a greater impact on air cargo.
Air freight has both advantages and disadvantages. For 19 years, Neptune Logistics has operated many multimodal transportation projects with professional teams and rich experience. Give full play to the advantages of air freight, overcome its disadvantages, and ensure the effective role of air freight in economic development.
The difference between international air freight and international express
1. The main body of transportation The main body of international air transportation is airlines, such as Air China, Japan Airlines, Singapore Airlines, Shenzhen Airlines, Malaysia, the United States, Northwest Airlines, and other airlines. The airline is confirmed by these large international air transportation companies, and the goods you want to consign are first shipped to the designated destination (that is, the airport of the consignee city). The main body of international express delivery is express companies, such as DHL, TNT, UPS, FEDEX, and another highway international express companies. Parcels are delivered mainly to their destinations through these international express companies. Neptune is an international diversified transportation logistics forwarder.
2. Scope of service International air transportation is generally at ordinary airports, while international express delivery is generally door-to-door.
3. Service content Express: It includes domestic and destination country customs clearance agency services, including delivery, but does not include the destination country's gratitude. Air freight: Customs clearance in the destination country is not included. Customers need to go to the airport to pick up the goods and clear the customs, nor do they need to go to the destination country.
4. Timeliness The transportation timeliness of international shipping and international express delivery is about the same. The local is to use international air freight faster, the local is to use international express to be faster. For example, in Tokyo, Japan, international air transport should be the key. The current timeliness is mainly related to the following three factors: ① the efficiency and strength of the transportation company ② the airport greet schedule ③ the destination customs clearance speed
Air freight operation process
In general, the operation method of international air transport can be explained in a flow chart:
accepting the owner's inquiry → accepting the main cargo entrustment → booking → warehouse → customs declaration → bill of lading confirmation and modification → fee settlement.
1. Accept the owner's inquiry
The consignor’s inquiry needs to provide the following detailed information:
1. Destination port airport
2. Departure port airport
3. Gross weight and volume of the goods
4. Shipping time or delivery time
5. Freight settlement method
6. The name of the goods and whether there are special requirements.
2. Accept the consignment of the shipper
After the two parties have negotiated all matters, the owner of the goods needs to provide the consignment letter of attorney. After receiving the consignment, the freight forwarder will carefully review the consignment, mainly checking whether the basic information is complete, confirming the time of receipt and delivery, and the method of delivery.
After receiving the entrustment of the shipper, the freight forwarder will select the appropriate route and flight time to book the space with the carrier according to the requirements of the shipper.
4. Into the warehouse
There are two types of warehousing: forwarder picking up and the owner’s delivery. If the owner delivers the goods by himself, the forwarder will provide the goods warehousing notice in advance, informing the warehousing number and delivery address. If you need a forwarder to pick up the goods, you need to provide the pick-up address and pick-up time in advance, confirm the pick-up fee, and then operate.
5. Customs declaration
The cargo owner provides the required information for customs affirmation: the relating pressing rundown, receipt, customs announcement force of lawyer, and different archives (at present all traditions the nation over execute paperless statements, and clients need to consent to a paperless arrangement
with the customs online) and submit them to the customs declaration together with the freight bill The officer declares to the customs. After the customs has verified that it is correct, the goods will be released, and the customs declaration procedures will be completed.
6. Confirmation and modification of the bill of lading
The forwarder will need to confirm the accuracy of the contents and information of the bill of lading with the customer, and the bill of lading will be issued when it is confirmed that it is correct. If the contents of the bill of lading need to be modified after this confirmation, a certain fee will be incurred.
7. Expense settlement
The settlement of expenses shall be based on the settlement method agreed upon by both parties. If it is the current settlement method, the owner of the freight shall pay the freight in advance, and then the goods shall be delivered by the carrier. If the two parties sign a monthly settlement agreement, the settlement will be unified according to the settlement time agreed by both parties.
The difference between air and sea exports
The transportation cost of sea transportation is about 1/25～1/20 of railway transportation and 1/100 of road transportation. Air freight usually charges 45KG in weight. If it is less than 45KG, it will be calculated as 45KG. For cargo less than 45KG, some airlines will have N price, that is, they do not need to bill according to 45KG, but can be billed according to the actual kilogram.
2. The lead time of customs declaration, the same shipping takes longer than air shipping.
Shipping takes 2~4 days, such as sailing on Friday and customs declaration on Wednesday. Air freight only takes 0.5 to 3 days, such as customs clearance for flights on Fridays and Thursdays.
3. Commercial inspection
Shipping sometimes requires picking up/out of containers, which is time-consuming and costly; there are inspection fees, and there may also be loading and unloading fees and towing fees. When shipping goods by air, the principle of "inspection first and warehousing" is implemented. The speed is fast and there is generally no inspection fee.
The 27 EU countries and individual countries in North Africa/Middle East (such as Turkey) require ENS for shipping, but not for air.
5. ISF (10+2)
Shipping is only required by the United States (ISF is unique to the United States), not by air.
MSDS is required for seaborne powders/chemicals, and airborne identification is required for airborne powders/chemicals.
7. Incoming lead time, shipping takes longer than air freight.
Shipping generally takes 3~6 days (LCL at least 4 days in advance). Air freight only takes 1 to 3 days, and air freight customers generally have high requirements for time.
What is FCA, CPT and CIP in air transportation?
FCA (free carrier) is the payload conveyance transporter (assigned spot), which implies that the vender just necessities to get it done for the transporter assigned by the purchaser at the assigned spot and complete the fare customs leeway strategies to finish the conveyance.The term can be used for various modes of transportation, including multimodal transportation.
If the buyer receives the goods from a person other than the carrier designated by the buyer, when the seller delivers the goods to this person, it shall be deemed to have fulfilled the delivery obligation.
CPT is the abbreviation of carriage-paid to..., which means freight paid to... It means that the seller delivers the goods to its designated carrier (carriage paid to carrier), but the seller must also pay to ship the goods to Freight at the destination. That is, the buyer bears all risks and other expenses after delivery.
CIP means that the seller delivers the goods to its designated carrier. During the period, the seller must pay the freight for transporting the goods to the destination and provide insurance against the buyer’s risk of loss or damage to the goods in transit. That is, the buyer bears all risks and additional costs after the seller delivers.
Goods suitable for air transportation
Air freight is the most sensible choice for small cargo, live commodities, gold, live commodities, and valuable commodities. Air freight is the most sensible choice for such valuables, live perishables, and precision instruments.
Precautions for air transportation
1. Narcotic drugs-narcotics transportation voucher issued by the Administration of Drug Administration of the Ministry of Health is required.
2. Live creatures and plants or some creature and plant items need the creature and plant isolate declaration gave by the creature and plant isolate station. In addition, special attention should be paid to that the emergency compartment does not accept live animals and plants. If these items are in the cargo, they need to be handed in. Billing at the cargo deck.
3. Canned liquids and powders-proof of the nature of the products from the manufacturer is required.
4. Acoustic products-a certificate of delivery of audio products issued by the Office of the Provincial Social and Cultural Management Committee is required.
5. Seafood-different places have different requirements for the packaging boxes of seafood. Take China Southern Airlines and Baiyun Airport. The two places require the use of their designated special boxes for seafood. In addition, if you use foam boxes alone, you cannot pack them. You need to add additional cartons and pack them before they can be shipped.
6. Glass products-closed wooden boxes must be used and fixed with a tripod.
7. Prohibited items including precluded things including explosives (like explosives, and so on), packed gas and pressure driven gas (like gas, and so forth), combustible and hazardous fluids or solids, oxidants, and natural peroxides (such as table tennis, etc.), drugs and infections Sexual materials (such as white powder), radioactive materials, corrosive materials (such as sulfuric acid), magnetic materials, anesthetics, batteries, etc.